From:
"Charles H. Emory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:49:43 -0400

>I'm looking to find out how many of you use "local" fiducials in addition to
>"global" fiducials for part placement on pick and place machines.  At what
pitch
>and package type do you not rely solely on the global fiducials and use local
>fiducials?  Thanks for you response.

This question should be answered by the folks who assemble the product
you are designing. As a service bureau we do whatever the customer
requires, but generally speaking we use local fiducials as follows:

   Place local fiducial(s) on any component with a pin pitch less than
   .031" (.787mm). If you have the space place 2 fiducials, in opposite
   diagonal corners, outside the part boundary, drawing a line between
   the two that crosses the component centroid. If you have very little
   space place one fiducial on the component centroid.

Again, these questions are best answered by your assembler!!!

Charles Emory
Interconnect Design Services
Email: [log in to unmask]