From:
"Aric Parr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
16 Aug 96 13:15:19 -0500

     Nitrogen is not required for low solids no clean flux. We have been
     doing this in open air for several years, including surface mount. We
     have retrofitted one machine with nitrogen (short tunnel) and have one
     long tunnel. The main benefit has been maintenance and up time from
     dross reduction.

     I am not sure if I will even retrofit our remaining machines, although
     all new machines will have factory installed nitrogen (which is
     significantly more efficient than retrofits designed by a gas
     supplier).

     Our biggest problems with test fixtures and probes were solved with
     flux application process changes, not by nitrogen. We have almost no
     false rejects due to flux residues. Most past problems were due to
     stuck probes (no spring) and/or flux attacking the fixture, not
     electrical contact failure.