From:
"Leo P. Lambert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 23:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Martin.  You seem to imply the solder mask over bare copper.  Is this
correct?  If yes then I believe you need to investigate the adhesion of the
solder mask to the copper traces.  Perhaps contaminated copper existed which
prevented the proper adhesion of the solder mask to the trace.  It seems
from your statement that the solder mask is adhering properly to the
laminate material which would lead one to believe that the mask is OK.

The other scenario would be if the solder mask is over traces which are Hot
Air level or tin/lead electroplated.  If this is the case, then the problem
lies with the solder reflowing beneath the solder mask and allowing it to
flake off.
As solder reflows it expands, thereby creating tremendous pressures beneath
the solder mask.  If the solder mask is thin, then it will be the weakest
link in the system and will most likely flake off the traces.  Additionaly,
solder mask does not adhere to any fused tin/lead surfaces so that would
also increase the possibility of solder mask peeling.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.