From:
ED HARKESS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 06 Aug 1996 10:41:22 -0600
Jim,

You may want to consider the use of  compliant pin press-fit
connectors. They would completely alleviate soldering for these
connectors and the associated mating problems. These connectors are
available in various types from AMP and other connector suppliers.

Ed Harkess
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
AMP Packaging Systems

At 08:00 AM 8/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>-- [ From: Jim Zanolli * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to solder thru-hole connectors
>without the extra step of wave soldering? In many cases a sufficient
>volume of solder cannot be achieved by applying solder paste to the
>hole.  >
>In another case the connector has long .485" .025 square tails that
>must have  gold plating to allow mating to another connector after
>soldered to PCB -- and therefore cannot even be wave soldered. Are
>there any alternatives to laborious hand soldering or solder donuts?
>
>Does the term "intrusive reflow" define the soldering of thru-hole
>leads by paste in the hole and reflow?
>Yes.
>
>We are currently using an Air-wick Company (Milford, Connecticut)
"solder fountain" quite successfully, as part of our final assembly
process, for quick soldering of connectors. It is necessary to use a
mask over adjacent components, and you attach the correct size
fountain tool to match component size, but works nicely even for fairly
fine pitch connectors.  >

Jeffery L. Hempton              Phone: (219) 429-7335   Fax: (219)
429-4688
Hughes Defense Communications                           Mail Stop: 25-31
1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
Email: [log in to unmask]

"The reason most people do not recognize opportunity is because it is
usually wearing a pair of bib overalls and disquised as hard work."    -
-Thomas Edison

  *