From:
"Jeffery L. Hempton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 06 Aug 1996 09:42:01 -0500
At 08:00 AM 8/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>-- [ From: Jim Zanolli * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to solder thru-hole connectors
>without the extra step of wave soldering? In many cases a sufficient
>volume of solder cannot be achieved by applying solder paste to the
>hole.
>
>In another case the connector has long .485" .025 square tails that
>must have  gold plating to allow mating to another connector after
>soldered to PCB -- and therefore cannot even be wave soldered. Are
>there any alternatives to laborious hand soldering or solder donuts?
>
>Does the term "intrusive reflow" define the soldering of thru-hole
>leads by paste in the hole and reflow?
>Yes.
>
>We are currently using an Air-wick Company (Milford, Connecticut) "solder
fountain" quite successfully, as part of our final assembly process, for
quick soldering of connectors. It is necessary to use a mask over adjacent
components, and you attach the correct size fountain tool to match component
size, but works nicely even for fairly fine pitch connectors.

Jeffery L. Hempton              Phone: (219) 429-7335   Fax: (219) 429-4688
Hughes Defense Communications                           Mail Stop: 25-31
1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
Email: [log in to unmask]

"The reason most people do not recognize opportunity is because it is
usually wearing a pair of bib overalls and disquised as hard work."    -
-Thomas Edison