From:
simon.ipc.org!pbni.attmail.com!PBN!PBN1!JMcGee (John McGee)
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:41:00 +0000

What is the difference between a Low profile and a High profile surface
mounted device?

In IPC-A-610B (section 10.2.5.5), I see that QFPs and SOLs are considered
High profile and that SOTs and SOICs are Low profile.   It's the "etcetera"
that
I'm finding unclear.

In other words, what is the measurement characteristic that differentiates
the
High from the Low profile?  Is it a specific measurement from the seating
plane to the bottom of the device body?  To the top of the device body?
To the point where the leads enter the device body?  If any of these, what
is the distance?  Where can I find this info?

Profile me much obliged.