From:
"Alan Hilton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 22:06:27 PST
The thermal mismatch could be a problem, but I think a far bigger
problem is the thermal mass you need to heat up in order to reflow
the solder. To reflow the part, you must feed it enough energy to
bring it up to the melting point of the solder. A larger thermal
mass needs more heat to reach the same temperature as a smaller part.
Therefore, you will need to either: 1. Slow down your conveyor,
possibly keeping the part in other stages of the reflow process too
long; or 2. Apply a higher temperature in the reflow section of the
oven. If you have other parts on the board, they will get damaged.
The board itself may burn.

If you really have to reflow the body of this part  (and I wouldn't
recommend it), try putting the one part on, reflow it at a high
temperature, then place the componentsand reflow it at the regular
temperature. Keep in mind this thermal mass may draw heat away from
nearby components.

Alan Hilton
Emulation Technology