From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:53:08 -0500
Jim Ennis asked:

>A current discussion is whether we need to mark 0603's. It is *possible*,
>but at extra cost and it's not really practical from a mfg standardpoint:
> You can't read them without magnification.  Does Bellcore require this?

Kinda. TR-NWT-000078, Issue 3, (December 1991) says:

"2.1.15 (R) Pieceparts, components, wire and cable shall, where practical
be so marked as to allow traceability to their original manufacturer; this
requirement does not apply to structural metalwork and machined hardware
such as screws.  Such markings shall not be obliterated or removed except
by the original manufacturer to remark incorrectly marked parts.  On a
temporary basis, part markings that fail to withstand assembly processing
may be remarked with the original component markings.  With the exception
of markings identifying program related information for programmable
devices such as Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memories (E-PROMs),
additional markings (such as labels added in the equipment manufacturing
process) shall not obscure the original manufacturer's markings"

It does say "where practical", so maybe you can get a ruling from your
resident inspector type. IMO, it is not. The markings on these small parts
are so obscure, and they really don't tell you the manufacturer anyway...

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA