From:
[log in to unmask] (Marshall Andrews)
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:29:25 -0400
Greg, typically the laser does not scribe directly into the plastic of the
package body because it does not create enough contrast.  The surface of
the package is usually coated with a thin film and it is this material that
is scribed by the laser.  Unfortunately, I do not know the chemical
composition of these coating materials, but I suspect that this is what you
are having trouble adhering to.

Regards,

Marshall

On Jun 06, 1996 13:22:40, '"Greg Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>RE>ASSY: Laser Ash?                          6/6/96
>
>Funny that you should mention this, Norm.  I believe that we're seeing a =

>related problem.  While we're not seeing a white residue, we are seeing a
=
>problem with laser etched devices.  We use thermally-screened devices on =

>certain products.  Our screening house uses a yellow epoxy dot on the =
corner
>of the device to signify successful screening, but these dots have = been

>falling off of the laser etched parts.  We suspect that the laser is =
>modifying the surface of the devices somehow (redeposition of carbon,
perha=
>ps?) to cause this.
>
>Any thoughts on how to either clean the device surface or come up with an
=
>alternative, inexpensive way to mark these devices?
>
>Greg Bartlett
>Mercury Computer Systems
>Chelmsford, MA

>From: Dill, Norm J
>
>After cleaning (soap & water) soldered assemblies, has anyone had a white

>residue problem that was traced back to the laser etched characters = on
>plastic DIP's?
>We currently have a white residue problem under investigation where = the

>initial evidence indicates the source to be a certain brand of DIP IC.  =
The