From:
[log in to unmask] (Jack Crawford)
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 08:58:03 -0500
Martin--your msg came across the TechNet in 15 parts. I can't reassemble
them to decode without major hassle. Why don't you just paste your process
into a msg to the TechNet--let the mail system encode normally (MOST PC
based systems use mime, MACs use mime or binhex, but the TechNet list
server can decode them and repost them in readable format usually. At our
facility, we teach IPC-610 "Train the Trainers" and "Operators" courses,
and have good knowledge of issues related to this "acceptance" document.
This msg just came to my mail server this morning, but I have a feeling
it's the same one that David Bergman answered yesterday, but I have already
deleted and don't remember the subject line. There are methods to "mod"
existing circuity through the addition of components. To add an extra round
leaded device, I might consider forming a "hook" bend and treating an
existing component lead as an "unpadded post terminal". You have to be
quite careful in your attaching--assure a complete reflow of all original
solder when you attach the hook so you don't leave thermal stresses through
the hole.

>Can anyone tell me is this type of PTH rework acceptable for IPC-610
>(class 3). i.e. joining two axial components in an A-frame configutarion.
>
>[[ AXIAL.BMP : 5671 in AXIAL.BMP ]]
>
>Thanks,
>
>Martin Dooner
>AMT Ireland
>University of Limerick
>Limerick
>Ireland

>The following binary file has been uuencoded to ensure successful
>transmission.  Use UUDECODE to extract.

<snip>

                      Jack Crawford
                  HelpLine Manager