Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 16:23:29 -0400

<<  Anyone care to comment?

Sure, why not.  It's Friday afternoon and the brain shut down till Monday
anyway....

<<   1. There are no people on this forum with experience in the field of
      PCB-based product packaging for shipment.

Not so.  Most of us have wrestled with shipping issues or at least the
gorillas in shipping at one time or another.  I believe your original
question regarded international package standards.  Since, to the best of my
knowledge, none exist, the lack of response is understandable.  I know I have
better things to do than respond to TechNet messages with "I don't know", "I
don't know" ......

Most of us have company standards.  Maybe another TechNetter might be willing
to share theirs.  If you want to develop your own, start with DHL or Federal
Express and ask for their recommended package considerations as a start.
 Consult EIA-625 for ESD handling considerations.  Determine if the shipped
parts must be ESD shielded or EMI shielded.  The smoky gray ESD bags, with a
vapor deposited metal layer, are good.  Heat sealing them is OK.  A recent
request in TechNet asked about heat sealing these bags.  The smoky gray ones
are OK, but don't do it to a pink poly bag.  I would suggest including a
dessicant pack in every bag.  Moist environments are the enemy of assemblies.

      2. There is no information available on this topic.

Depends on how hard you look.  You can check with Circuits Assembly, PC FAB,
etc., to see if they have run articles on shipping.  I recall seeing some in
the distant past.  Check with the EOS/ESD Association in Rome, New York.
 They have a number of technical articles on shipping sensitive electronics.
 Research the military specifications database (DODISS).  There are a number
of military specs (one for any and all occasions) regarding packaging to
guard against shock, vibration, and moisture intrustion.

      3. I have put the question to the wrong forum.

Nonsense.  This is ALWAYS the right forum.  If we don't know the answer,
we'll make one up.... So there.

      4. It was a stupid question.

There is no such thing, unless you are a sportscaster or journalist.

      Anyone care to comment ?

No, I think I've said enough.

Doug Pauls