Date:
Thu, 09 May 1996 09:49 -0500 (EST)

     John,

As a packaging engineer, this is my advice on your situation.  It does not
directly answer your question on how to interpret the spec, but provides insight
as to the intent of the requirement and how I've handled similar problems with
much larger boards.

        1) As a rule of thumb, I typically have warp and twist measured on the
boards in their application orientation.  Typically when a board is laid flat,
especially if it is populated, gravity will remove some if not all of the warp
and twist.  If the customer is using the board is this orientation, then it may
be acceptable depending on spacing and other mating components including
packaging restraints.  If the board is going into a card cage then warp and
twist can cause definite problems.  These problems can range from arcing between
boards to the boards physically jumping the card guides.  As an end user, it is
very difficult to define and measure the amount of warp and twist in a populated
board.  In the past, I've taken measurements on boards vertically on edge from a
known flat surface at a known distance, e.g. a rigid metal plate.

        2) If the end user is having problems with the boards in their system,
yes it is a concern.  Depending on the environment that your customer is
subjecting the boards to, the warp and twist can cause failures during testing.
You'll need to work with your supplier and explain to them the concerns of your
customer and the dissatisfaction in their quality and that the product does not
meet its intended use.

I hope these thoughts from my experiences prove helpful in resolving your
dilemma.

Pam Morrison
Lockheed Martin
Information Systems