From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 07 May 96 12:33:00 DST

Guenter,
       With entrapment of the water solubles, you will also find that if
there is any moisture still present, when power is applied, the corrosive
effects are greatly accelerated.  Also, depending on the level of other
contaminates present, dendrite growth can occur rapidly resulting in shorted
conductors.  This effect will occur at any time in the future if moisture
becomes present under that package while power is applied.
        In place of a HASL coating, gold over nickel plating may provide
more consistent results if the OSP coating does not prove to be acceptable
throughout the soldering process.

       Norm Dill