From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 19:13:34 GMT
In your message dated Thursday 10, October 1996 you wrote :
>      It always amazes me how PCB Fabricators expect OEM's to be
>      responsible for testing a board to prove the Fabricator has
>      done his job. Why doesn't the Fabricator test the board to
>      insure he has done his job properly? Why is this cost always
>      passed down to the OEM?

It amazes me how some OEM's expect to get board test for nothing when it costs
money for fixturing and test, not to mention the very expensive machine
required.

The argument that the fabricator should get it right is just an excuse
for not paying for a test fixture. I can't imagine there are many OEM's out
there who send out finished product untested. The cost of this must be included
in the manufacturing cost.

Complex pcb's should be tested and this costs money. If it is not shown as a
separate cost item, then it must be included; it can't be free. If the OEM does
not want to pay this puts the fabricator in a very awkward position. He can
either pick up the cost of the fixture himself or risk a hefty bill for
consequential loss or damages. Either way, he will go out of business
eventually.

Lets have a level playing field and specify board test on all but the most
simple pcb's.
--
Paul Gould
EMail [log in to unmask]