From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 96 18:03:00 DST

Mike,
     In addition to agreeing with Eric's employee comments I would like to
offer a few other observations on the subject.  The majority of shops that
produce .008 mil lines/spaces that I have seen, do not have controlled
'clean' rooms.
     I have also been in at least two shops that boasted of .003 mil
capability that had NO clean room or even positive pressure in the imaging
areas.  In both cases when ask about production yields, prerehearsed 'tap
dance' answers were given.  Neither shop knew or was willing to share their
actual shop defect rates based on the their lack of air born contamination
control in the imaging areas.  I have also seen many shops with what was
advertised as a clean room but noticed there was no positive pressure.
     Basically, from a sales point they look cool but without enough
positive pressure to keep out contaminates from the other processes, both
chemical and dust, the actual 'clean' value of the room is near zero.  In my
opinion, considering your .008 requirement description, I would steer away
from using a class "100K Clean Room" title by procedure.  If you do, some
auditor will want to see your Mil testing proof.  I don't believe you need
to go through that.
      A more practical approach would be to write your procedure to
specify/control the items you mentioned (since they are already in place)
with one addition.  In this procedure close your control loop by including
the MRB function.   Have your production defects reviewed daily/weekly by
MRB.  A minimum effort by your MRB group should be able to easily identify
defects caused by imaging contamination.   Simply tracking these defects
will have many benefits.  It will document the quality capability of your
imaging process.  It will provide justification for any needed improvements.
 It can demonstrate the 'no added value' of any steps that you have deleted.
 It will also serve to impress the auditors that your actually do monitor
your image process quality and follow your procedure.
      This approach will allow you to fine tune your 'clean' room to fit the
quality needs of your other processes without over kill.

         Norm Dill