COMPLIANCENET Archives

1996

ComplianceNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"Sharp, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:02 -0800
Larry,

In reference to your message (below):

To emit solvents (or any other VOC) in Oregon, you need a permit.  It can
be a full blown Air Contaminant Discharge Permit (ACDP), or it can be
what used to be called a "minor source" permit. I think it is now called
a letter permit to prevent confusion with "natural minors" and "synthetic
minors" in the Title V programs.  It sounds like even if all your losses
of solvent were evaporative, there would only be about 2000 pounds per
year of emissions.  Usually anything under 10 tons per year gets a letter
permit, but DEQ has the last word on that.

At any rate, whether you have a permit or not, if you install any piece
of equipment that discharges air pollutants, you have to file a "Notice
of Intent to Construct an Air Pollution Source" (or an NC).  The forms
are available from the Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality (DEQ).  The
forms have various questions about the amount and type of emissions, any
pollution control equipment that will be installed, when you expect to
finish the installation, etc.  You fill out and send the form in, and DEQ
has 60 days to get back with you.  DEQ will send you a letter which has
an NC number on it and that letter is your approval to install and
operate your equipment.  If you don't receive anything from them within
60 days, you have tacit approval to install and operate your piece of
equipment.  However, they can request more information on the 59th day,
and once you submit it, your 60-day waiting period begins anew.

Once the equipment installation is completed, you have to file a form
(called the Notice of Construction Completion) with DEQ stating so.  This
form will be sent to you when they send you the NC form.

As far as exposure levels go, I am unfamiliar with these particular
chemicals.  It's possible that I know them under another synonym, but I
can't find any cross-references.  Maybe someone else on ComplianceNet
knows something.  Looking in the ACGIH Threshold Limit Values book shows
a Time-Weighted Average (TWA) of 100 ppm for propylene glycol monomethyl
ether (PGME) and 400 ppm for isopropanol.  PGME is the closest analog
that I can find to the acetate.

Good Luck and contact me if you have any questions.

John Sharp
Merix Corp., Forest Grove, OR
503-992-4351  phone
503-359-1040  FAX

Greetings to all,

My company is an OEM involved in PWB assembly and we are purchasing a
solvent cleaning system that can use various solvents (combustable and
flammable types included).  We are considering loading the wash sump with
solvent called Megasolv JB, which is made up of Propylene Glycol n-Propyl
Ether (PNP)   and Propylene Glycol Methyl Ether Acetate (PMA).  The rinse
sump would be loaded with regular 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA).  The
equipment is has spraying wands that spray the appropriate solvent onto
the
PWBA's then the solvent drains back into separate sumps.  The spray and
sump chambers are sealed during operation, but open for PWBA removal and
solvent replacement.  The unit has a vent hood that is attached to an
exhaust system which removes vapors escaping the unit during use and
transfers them outside the building.  I expect solvent use to be
approximately 10 gallons per month of each solvent.

My questions are as follows, What, if any, regulations apply to this type
of solvent use (in Oregon)?
And, Does anyone have any experience or input regarding exposure levels,
solvent effectivenes, etc for this type solvent?  I believe that Rosstech
solvent 119ME is very similar.  All input is appreciated.

Larry Morse
Phone: 541-766-0362