COMPLIANCENET Archives

1996

ComplianceNet@IPC.ORG

Date:
Thu, 06 Jun 96 08:36:31 CDT
     We have a good deal of bacteria that like to reproduce in our gold
     plating rinses.  We have had them for years and they have not caused a
     defect yet.  We have done some lab studies and consulted with some
     microbiologist at the University of Texas to see what we could do to
     get rid of them.  There are a number of algaecides and antibiotics
     that will work but the "bugs" will become resistant over time.  You
     have to rotate through a treatment reigme to keep their populations in
     check.  They don't seem to favor the gold baths.  We surmise that the
     temp and/or cyanide concentration is too high.  The
     algaecides/antibiotics that we considered were to be used in such low
     concentrations that we were not concerned with pass-through

     We simply use household bleach at 5% v/v on a maintenance schedules.
     Since the bleach attacks their cell walls, they can not become
     resistant.

     Michael Holan
     Radian International, LLC
     Elecronics Div.