COMPLIANCENET Archives

1996

ComplianceNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"Nancy Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 96 08:50:50 CST

Nancy Nelson sent a question on Bromine fire retardants.

My understanding is that the bromine compounds prohibited in Europe do not
include  FR-4. The bromine used in FR-4 is reacted into the backbone of the
epoxy so it does not fall into the class of brohibited compounds.  As far as I
know, the laminates used widely in Europe have the same fire retardant as
those used in the US.

I have confirmed this opinion with our laminate supplier and have
provided it to our European designers.  So far no one has contradicted it.

Bob Holmes
ATT- Bell Labs

Subject: Alternatives to Bromine in Flame Retardants
     Does Anyone know of any movement or alternatives
     in the industry concerning this.It seems the European Community has
     not approved these for use.

     What do the Europeans use in their laminate?

     Thanks in advance for any response.

     Regards,

     Nancy Nelson
     PCA Engineering Services