COMPLIANCENET Archives

1996

ComplianceNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"Larry Morse" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:31:38 -0800
Greetings to all,

My company is an OEM involved in PWB assembly and we are purchasing a
solvent cleaning system that can use various solvents (combustable and
flammable types included).  We are considering loading the wash sump with a
solvent called Megasolv JB, which is made up of Propylene Glycol n-Propyl
Ether (PNP)   and Propylene Glycol Methyl Ether Acetate (PMA).  The rinse
sump would be loaded with regular 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA).  The
equipment is has spraying wands that spray the appropriate solvent onto the
PWBA's then the solvent drains back into separate sumps.  The spray and
sump chambers are sealed during operation, but open for PWBA removal and
solvent replacement.  The unit has a vent hood that is attached to an
exhaust system which removes vapors escaping the unit during use and
transfers them outside the building.  I expect solvent use to be
approximately 10 gallons per month of each solvent.

My questions are as follows, What, if any, regulations apply to this type
of solvent use (in Oregon)?
And, Does anyone have any experience or input regarding exposure levels,
solvent effectivenes, etc for this type solvent?  I believe that Rosstech
solvent 119ME is very similar.  All input is appreciated.

Larry Morse
Phone: 541-766-0362