Date:
Wed, 15 May 96 15:31:37

     To: Steve Quinn
         Heurikon Corp

     Hi Steve,

     I am a Material Engineer with ERG Limited in Perth, Western Australia.
     My responsiblities are semiconductors, crystals, LCD displays, RF
     products and power supplies.

     We have been creating a shelf life policy within our company and have
     also discovered the problem with the humidity sensitive devices. We
     initially thought of using the Moisture Barrier Bags (MBBs) but this
     would require continual opening and sealing of the bags (pain!!!!!).
     The most economical and time saving solution I have found is using
     either a Desiccant Cabinet or Mechanically Refrigerated Forced Draught
     Low Humidity Chamber.

     The first option involves purchasing a Desiccator Cabinet, which does
     not use air circulation, but uses desiccant in a bottom shelf to
     provide the necessary RH. This is a low capital option, with a 1 cubic
     metre cabinet costing about $4000 AUD. However, you will need to dry
     or replace the desiccant at regular intervals.

     The second option will require no maintenance as the Low Humidity
     Chamber uses dry forced air to provide the RH environment. The cost is
     a little more expensive with a 1 cubic metre unit costing $10,000.00
     AUD.

     The process in handling these devices becomes:

     -  Store in stock inside the Moisture Barrier Bags that the
     manufacturer supplies them in. This gives them a shelf life of 12
     months from sealed date.

     -  Once the MBB has been opened, move the ICs to the Humidity /
     Desicannt cabinet for storage until production use. The environment of
     the cabinet should be monitored by either digital indication of RH or
     Humidity Indicator Cards.

     -  Return all unused ICs to the Humidity / Desiccant Chamber until
     need.

     If this is monitored properly, the ICs should stay within their ideal
     storage condition.

     If you have any questions about this, let me know. My email address is

     Michael Waller.
     ERG Limited.