Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 00:40:42 -0800
04:19 1997
From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I want to wish everyone on the list a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!

Thanks! been so busy, almost forgot I'm about to stumble into 1997....
Now that I take a deep breath, head up, looking back over the year we are
leaving, and forward to the coming one, maybe now is a good time to ponder
the roots of our profession, where it all started for us.
...and so I offer the following:

  T H E   H I S T O R Y   O F   E L E C T R I C I T Y . . !

Today's scientific question is: What in the world is electricity?
And where does it go after it leaves the toaster?

Here  is  a  simple experiment that will teach you  an  important
electrical lesson:  On a cool,  dry day,  scuff your feet along a
carpet,  then reach your hand into a friends mouth and touch  one
of his dental fillings.   Did you notice how your friend twitched
violently   and  cried  out  in  pain?    This  teaches  us  that
electricity can be a very powerful force,  but we must never  use
it to hurt others unless we need to learn an important electrical
lesson.

It  also  teaches us how an electrical circuit works.   When  you
scuffed  your feet,  you picked up batches of "electrons,"  which
are  very  small  objects that carpet  manufacturers  weave  into
carpet  so  that they will attract dirt.   The  electrons  travel
through your bloodstream and collect in your finger,  where  they
form a spark that leaps to your friends filling, then travel down
to  his  feet  and  back into the  carpet,  thus  completing  the
circuit.

AMAZING ELECTRONIC FACT:   If you scuffed your feet  long  enough
without  touching anything,  you would build up so many electrons
that  your finger would explode!   But this is nothing  to  worry
about... unless you have carpeting.

Although  we  modern  persons tend to take our  electric  lights,
radios, mixers, etc. for granted. Hundreds of years ago people did
not have any of these things, which is just as well because there
was  no  place  to  plug them in.   Then  along  came  the  first
Electrical  Pioneer,  Benjamin  Franklin,  who flew a kite  in  a
lightning  storm and received a serious electrical  shock.   This
proved  that lightning was powered by the same force as  carpets,
but it also damaged Franklin's brain so severely that he  started
speaking only in incomprehensible maxims, such as, "A penny saved
is  a penny earned."  Eventually he had to be given a job running
the post office.

After  Franklin  came a herd of Electrical Pioneers  whose  names
have become part of our electrical terminology:  Myron Volt, Mary
Louise Amp,  James Watt,  Bob Transformer,  etc.   These pioneers
conducted  many important electrical experiments - - Among  them,
Galvani discovered (this is the truth) that when he attached  two
different  kinds  of metal to the leg of a  frog,  an  electrical
current  developed and the frog's leg kicked,  even though it was
no longer attached to the frog, which was dead anyway.  Galvani's
discovery  led  to enormous advances in the  field  of  amphibian
medicine.   Today,  skilled  veterinary surgeons can take a  frog
that  has  been seriously injured or killed,  implant  pieces  of
metal  in its muscles,  and watch it hop back into the pond  just
like  a  normal frog,  except for the fact that it sinks  like  a
stone.

But  the  greatest  Electrical  Pioneer of them  all  was  Thomas
Edison, who was a brilliant inventor despite the fact that he had
little formal education and lived in New Jersey.   Edison's first
major invention in 1877 was the phonograph,  which could soon  be
found in thousand of American homes, where it basically sat until
1923,  when  the  record  was invented.   But  Edison's  greatest
achievement  came in 1879 when he invented the electric  company.
Edison's design was a brilliant adaption of the simple electrical
circuit: the electric company sends electricity through a wire to
a  cutomer,  then immediately gets the electricity  back  through
another  wire,  then (this is the brilliant part) sends it  right
back to the customer again.

This  means that an electric company can sell a customer the same
batch  of  electricity  thousands of times a day  and  never  get
caught,  since very few customers take the time to examine  their
electricity closely.   In fact, the last year any new electricity
was  generated was 1937;  the electric companies have been merely
re-selling it ever since,  which is why they have so much time to
apply for rate increases.

Today,  thanks  to men like Edison and Franklin,  and frogs  like
Galvani's, we receive almost unlimited benefits from electricity.
For  example,  in  the past decade scientists have developed  the
laser, an electronic appliance so powerful that it can vaporize a
bulldozer 2000 yards away, yet so precise that doctors can use it
to  perform delicate operations to the  human  eyeball,  provided
they   remember  to  change  the  power  setting  from  "Vaporize
Bulldozer" to "Delicate."