Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 96 07:42:00 PST
From [log in to unmask] Mon Dec 23 12:
04:36 1996
From:
"Kasprzak, Bill (esd) US" <[log in to unmask]>

We here at our company make extensive use of pictures in our asembly
instructions. The pictures we use can come from many sources. I download
released drawings from our engineering archives, scan sketches on a flat bed
scanner or take a picture with a digital camera that we have from Kodak.

There are a couple of main drawbacks with using the pictures from a digital
camera.  One is that your document size for your work instructions begin to
get fairly large. I have some assembly intstructions where the file size is
in excess of 1 meg. If you have as many different part numbers as I have,
these files begin to take up a lot of space on your hard drive and network
drive. In addition, your word processing software needs to be able to use
these picture files in the document. Having separate directories for color
pictures separate from the document ultimately results in confusion and
chaos.

The second drawback is printer hardware. Obviously, the original color print
from a color laser printer or from an ink jet printer gives the best
possible result. If you need many copies of the same picture, copies from a
copy machine lose both color (unless, of course,  you have a color copier)
and resolution. If you decide that all of your copies will come from your
laser printer, this can get to be costly since color prints from a laser
printer cost between $0.50 and $1.00 per print !!

There is a bright side, with computer hardware getting faster, printers
becoming cheaper, cost of disk drive space going down, etc. etc. , the
reality of full color documentation being as economical as the current black
and white format is creeping ever so much closer to reality. We here at
Moog, are starting to look at the next generation of work instructions where
the operator looks at a computer screen and plays back video of work
instructions. Pretty neat stuff. The big problem I have with all of this is
that the more sophisticated the work instructions get, the less and less
time you spend hands-on with the stuff your trying to build. Instead, you
are at your desk creating a "Hollywood" production.

Have a great holiday season.

Bill Kasprzak
Moog Inc.
716-652-2000 ext 2507