From:
Vivian Vosburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 14:51:46 -0500 (CDT)
Jim,

The subject of conductor width measurement has been the subject of much
controversy over the years, due to the inherent geometry of conductors
resulting from common printed board manufacturing processes.  The
definition that you quoted from the IPC Terms and Definitions (IPC-T-50)
publication is the result of an industry aggreement after much discussion at
IPC meetings. I am not sure how you are accomplishing your measurement,
but IPC-TM-650 Test Methods Manual, method 2.2.2 A describes the method
for measuring conductor width. This method states measurement using
"Any illuminated eyepiece or microscope having a reticle and a
magnification capability of at least 5X magnification", "recordrd to the
nearest 0.0001 in." In addition, IPC-RB-276: Qualification and
Performance Specification for Rigid Printed Boards, describes "Conductor
Definition" in PP 3.8, which allows for certain "allowable width
reductions" (Too lengthly to repeat here). I can FAX the allowable
reduction info. to you if you need it; E-mail or call the IPC office.
All of the above mentioned publications are available from IPC; Contact
Customer Service for ordering information.

Be aware that although the inherent geometry of conductors through
processing has been tolerable for many years, many of the newer designs
requiring controlled impedance may have much tighter requirements on
width, thickness, and shape in order to achieve the desired impedance.

Hope this helps

Vivian Vosburg, E-mail: [log in to unmask]
IPC, 2215 Sanders RD., Northbrook, IL. 60062-6135
708-509-9700,  FAX 708-509-9700