From:
BOB HAYNES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:36:27

I have been reading some E-mail regarding solder balling with
No-clean and water soluble fluxes recently.  I thought I might be
able to relay my solution to the solder balling problem in our
process in case it might help someone.

When we first started using water soluble flux, every board emerged
from the wave covered in minute solder balls adhered to the mask.  I
considered these to be a result of excess water remaining in the flux
at the point of wave contact, vaporizing rapidly, and blowing solder
all over the mask.  To eliminate the problem, I pre-heated our flux
removal airknife.  This causes a high temperature jet of air to pass over the
entire board prior to preheating but after flux application.  The
heated air reduces the amount of volatiles in the flux such as water and
eliminates solder balling.  We haven't had a solder ball since.

Thanks
Jason Spera