From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 95 09:37:00 EST

Following from the EMPF HelpLine in Indianapolis, prepared by Jeff Kukelhan:

I would like to point out that both the EIA and IPC consider the "toe" area
of gull wing leads as non-critical (per ANSI/J-STD-001 and ANSI/J-STD-002).
 In otherwords, the "toes" do not have to accept solder in either
solderability tests or production assembly operations to meet these
specifications.  I think we may eventually determine that the "toe" joint is
critical to long term performance, particularly for fine pitch devices.  But
for the time being commercial specifications do not require a toe joint.  If
you want to maximize "toe" joint formation without pretinning, look for
vendors that apply 500 to 1000 microinches of fusible plating, and then trim
the lead from the bottom up.  This bottom-up trimming motion will smear some
of the thick plating over the lower half of the toe, and will generally
facilitate the formation of a solder joint half way up the thickness of the
toe.