From:
[log in to unmask] (Daniel F. Shea (2-2410))
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 95 09:27:25 est

Rick,

We have gone through exhaustive studies, and had Kemit visit
our facility to share what they know about cracked ceramic caps.

Some of the root causes of cracking can be:

	1. Pick and Place placement force.
	2. Mechanical stress from board twist and flex after
           reflow. ( mat'l handling )
	3. Stress during the reflow process.

Kemit has many papers on this subject.

What it boils down to is the larger pkgs are more susceptible to these
forces.

Therefore we have been,for the last 2 years, designing out all ceramic
caps larger than the 1210 pkg. In some cases this means putting caps in
parallel or in series to get the required value for the design.

Good luck,

Dan Shea([log in to unmask])
The Foxboro Co.