From:
[log in to unmask] (Martin Kennett, Design Engineer)
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:47:28 -0600
I sent this to the wrong address - apologies.

What laminate are you using? I have some data on the Z-axis
expansion of several common laminate material.  My company was
recommended to go with the following speicfication for FR-4 on a Flight
compatible piece of hardware:  Use HTE (ehich is class 3) copper foil
for conductive layers, 1.5 micron PTH wall thickness of copper with
12-30% elongation, 45k-55k PSI tensile strength.  Some also specify a
Nickel coating on the PTH barrels after copper plating for strength
although we were assured that this was not necessary.  This is a common
specification in the aerospace industry where the product experiences
large and frequent temperature cycles.  The above spec was developed
for a new laminate material called Non-Woven Aramid.

Martin Kennett - Design Engineer, SED Systems Inc, Saskatoon, Canada.