Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 06:47:09 EST

    \0
   TO:         I1263600 IBMMAIL   ipc internet technical query

   FROM:       DSTEWART EX2       D.Stewart        - Product Development Manager.

   DATE:       22 November 1995
   SUBJECT:    automatic printers
   REFERENCE:  experiences please

    I am interested in pc fab houses' experience in using automatic
    printers for inner layer manufacture. I am particularly interested
    in specific machine types, throughput rates, set up times, yield
    issues, whether they are single or double sided print, what
    pre-tooling is required on the panels etc.
    My thinking runs like this:
    to reduce headcount in inner layer manufacture, the biggest saving
    is in setting up glass jigs for manual printers. Of the set-up
    time, the longest factor is stripping off and replacing gaskets to
    enable fast vacuum pull. If we can avoid this part of the set up
    then we're winning!!
    My understanding is that machines like the Hakuto, and Ono Sokki,
    use single sided print and can therefore pull a vacuum from the
    back side (pulling the panel against the artwork) but the
    registration is achieved using ccd cameras (not for better
    registration as claimed, but in order to get any registration!).
    This means that the panels need to be pre-tooled to allow targets
    to achieve said registration.
    ORC of USA use collimated light, double sided print, soft contact
    and this is the system that up to now I would favour. However,
    people have stated that for 4 mil line and space you really need to
    pull a vacuum, so here we are again having to set up gaskets for
    every job.
    I also know of Tamurak printers, FSL printers but have no
    experience on how these perform, or whether they also require
    vacuum gaskets.
    So please help and forward any information you may have, along with
    where these pieces of equipment are being used.
    Thankyou for your help
    Dougal Stewart
    Product Development manager
    Exacta circuits
    Scotland

    tel +44 (0)1750 21601
    fax             22513
    email - [log in to unmask]

   COPY LIST: DSTEWART EX2       D.Stewart        - Product Development Manager.