From:
"Fouquet, Alain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:33:00 -0500 (EST)

To all,

In an effort to reduce cost, our boards manufacturers are proposing to
remove the requirements for etchback.  This is reported to be a saving of
10-15% of the bare board.  For an equipment subject to be used in an
environment which may be similar to a car and possibly marine types,
questions are:

1- Do we put ourselves in a position where reliability will drop
significantly if etchback is not specified?

2- Is etchback normally used in the automotive industry for multi-layer
board if used?  If not what alternative to use?

3- Is the 10-15% cost reduction realistic?

4- General consumables like computers, are they using this process?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Alain Fouquet
Canadian Marconi Company
Ville Saint-Laurent, QC, Canada
email: [log in to unmask]