From:
"Jim Marsico" <"marsico%Organization=Industrial & Mfg'g Engineering%Telephone=516-595-5879"@a1.allin1.ALLIN1.umc>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 95 11:55:01 -0400
We are considering replacing our present pick and place machine (10 yrs old)
with a modern system.  My management is concerned that whatever we purchase
today might be obsolete in 3-5 years.  The system which I have in mind has the
capability of placing 15 mil pitch leaded components, 0402s, and BGAs, pretty
much the latest technologies.

My question is this, does anyone have a grasp on where component trends are
leading?  Is component packaging going to be smaller still (than 0402s) or a
different technology altogether which will render my state-of-the-art placement
system obsolete?  What does the future hold for components and placement
systems?