From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 13:31:29 -0500 (CDT)
Daniel:

The inside cover of J-STD-001A and page vi of IPC-A-610B show the
synopsized relationship of the two documents.

Page v of IPC-A-610B is even more explicit: "J-STD-001 establishes
the minimum acceptability
requirements for printed board assemblies soldering. IPC-A-620, when
addressing soldering is a companion and complimentary document, providing
pictorial interpretation of the requirements of J-STD-001."

It goes on to note: "The IPC-A-610 has additional criteria defining
handling, mechanical requirements, and other workmanship requirements."

Either spec can be used when invoked by customer or contractual
agreement. A-610 may be used as a standalone document for inspection, but
keep in mind that it doesn't specify the frequency of in-process or
end-product inspection, nor the allowable number of repair/rework
defects. These are found in -001.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
2215 Sanders Road