From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:54:49 -0500
>     TO: IPC TECHNET SUBSCRIBERS;
>
>     HIGH RELIABILITY COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS REQUIRE LUBRICATION OF
>     CONNECTORS AND SOCKETS TO PREVENT THE BUILDUP OF CONTACT RESISTANCE BY
>     FRETTING CORROSION. LUBRICANTS FOR THIS PURPOSE ARE READILY AVAILABLE
>     AND CAN BE SPRAYED, DIPPED OR BRUSHED ONTO THE CONTACT SURFACES.
>     IS ANYONE AWARE OF EQUIPMENT MADE SPECIFICALLY TO AUTOMATE ANY OF
>     THESE METHODS?  YOUR INPUT IS APPRECIATED. [log in to unmask]

There is an "airless" spray head and associated robotic system made by
Nordson Corp Finishing Systems (800-622-8303) which has been successfully
used to apply conformal coating on assembled boards This system might be
used for OS-124 (5 ring polyphenyl ether) and HCFC solvents, and could
probably be modified for flammable solvents like naptha.

As I recall they have even made a fully in-line version of this. The system
is expensive, like six figure minimum and up, but is the only thing that
I've seen with the capability to do it.

I've always wished that connector manufacturers woud pre-lubricate the
contact surfaces with a peristent compound like OS-124 or OS-138, which
would be the efficient way to do this. The only processes I've seen used in
board level operations were very ugly.

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation