From:
Ken Gilleo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 07:56:50 -0400 (EDT)
Comments on Fenner re Conductive Adhesives

1) Conductivity: adhesive conductivity is always a balance between
mechanical vs. electrical properties. C-adhesives range from about an
order of magnitude higher to lower vol. resistivity than solder. Also,
the typical adhesive joint is about half the height as for solder which
cuts the difference in half. Our large survey of adhesive evaluators &
users indicated that only 2% needed higher conductivity; there are much
more critical deficiencies.

2) Strength: component packages that form butt joints, like chip
resistors, give about the same shear value as for solder, sometimes
even higher. The "J" lead gives only about 50% strength at best, for reasons
well understood and reported in detail. Bright dip solder finish, due to
smoothness, may drop the adhes. strength to 10%. In our opinion, lower
mechanical strength is the most serious deficiency for adhesives and the
hardest problem to solve. Celestica (IBM Canada is studying the problem with
a major program).

3) We can say, with strong documentation from independent sources, that
the junction stability of silver-filled conductive adhesive (at least our
favorite one), is excellent with off-the-shelf solder-coated SMDs. Many have
found that Sn/Pb is the ideal finish for conductive adhesives, even better
than gold. How can this be? Adhesives that rely on particle-penetration for
stable junctions, work best with soft metals like solder. Epoxies also bond
better to metal oxides that pure metal.

4) We can not agree that conductive adhesives, "do not have a high
reliability" and offer the following. Poly-Flex Circuits (USA) has
shipped 10's of millions of flex circuit assemblies using conductive
adhesive bonded SOLDER-COATED SMDs. A major customer is AT&T who has used
adhesives in their business telephones for about 13 years. The LEDs on
many Hewlett-Packard printers are bonded with conductive adhesives. A
California medical company has assembled millions of blood oxygen sensors
with conductive adhesive. Since junction failure could be life
threatening, the use of conductive adhesive here is a strong testimonial
to reliability.

We do agree that conductive adhesives are competitive only where the
provide an advantage over solder, such as low temperature assembly.
Although we love adhesives, you may expect us to happily manufacture tons and
tons of solder for years and years to come.

Polymer Valley/Solder City