From:
Andy Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:00:38 GMT
Steve,

We, at GenRad, have just started using a double sided refolw with selective wave
solder with great success. We had the priviledge of stipualting the layout of the
PCB so it was suitable for the process we had in mind.

This involves the same process you use (I assume) but instead of wave soldering
the whole of the underside of the PCB we use a board carrier with appertures
exposing only the through hole components to the solder wave, negating the need
for gluing the SM components. Using this method also closes the process window on
the wave solder process as you only have to solder through hole devices.

If your PCB is well down the design route then this may be of no use whatsoever
but with teamwork and gentle(!) persuation we have managed some major advances in
DFM.

Andy Richardson
Manufacturing Engineer
GenRad UK