From:
"bwooldri" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 95 17:35:50 CST
I fully agree with Jon's response to your questions.  In
addition, the situation you described for Class 2 equipment is
nonconforming since you do not have 75% solder fill per Table
4-1.

I don't know from your message why 75% solder fill cannot be
determined.  If it's due to not being able to see the joint then
an assumption of fill based on other PTH's in the area may be
applicable.  If there is no visual obstruction, determination of
% fill should not be a problem with normal inspection techniques
such as the unaided eye, ring lamp or microscope.  If this is an
extremely important characteristic to your company or your
customer, then a microsection of the solder joints in question
can be done.  My suggestion here would be to conduct an
experiment on a sample group of boards populated with coated
components with a meniscus and microsection them to determine
solder fill on a statistically valid sample.

If wetting can't be determined on the secondary side there's a
problem.  Wetting to the lead on the primary side, in most cases,
cannot be determined since the lead is usually not visible.
Wetting to the PTH barrel is usually visible unless something is
obstructing your line of sight.

You are correct in that there is no minimum clearance specified
between the solder fillet and the component meniscus for Class 1
and 2 since the meniscus is allowed into the solder as long as
the other conditions are met, ie., no risk of thermal damage,
component mass is less than 10 grams and good wetting exists on
the secondary side with no meniscus visible from the secondary
side.

For Class 3 equipment however, the minimum clearance is specified
as "visible clearance."  This means that the lead can be seen
between the meniscus and the solder fillet.  It is not intended
to be measured.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.  If you have further questions
feel free to give me a call.

Bruce Wooldridge
DSC Communications Inc.
Vice Chairman, IPC-A-610 Task Group