From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat McGuine)
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 17:15:13 -0500
Gloria:
As a rule, we do not allow any meniscus to enter the hole.  We purchase the
components pre-crimped which keepss it from getting in.  If they are not
available pre-crimped or if our usage does not justify the minimum purchase
to get them pre-crimped, we crimp them by hand.

Is this excessive?  What do other companies do?

At 12:46 PM 5/10/95 cst, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>     We have a discussion going on with the IPC 610 B figure 4-23
>     and 4-24 which are on page 57. It seems we cannot come up with
>     a majority rule on the insertion and soldering techniques of
>     the coated capacitor.
>
>     The statement which we are concerned with:   Exhibits all around
>     good wetting on secondary side and lead coating meniscus is not
>     visible within connection on solder side.  We cannot understand why
>     solder side is also called secondary side in the same sentence.
>     (Per the view 4-2 these mean the same.)
>
>     Our situation is, we have some meniscus into the solder on the top
>     side or primary side with little or no wetting. We cannot ensure that
>     the vertical fill of solder is 75% per table 4-1 Class 2.
>     Also, there does not appear to be a minimum amount of lead space
>     between the solder connection and the meniscus in 610 B.
>     This application has been changed from 610 A TO 610 B.
>
>     Thanks for any clarification we can get on this...

-Pat-

Patrick McGuine
(608) 276-6334