From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:16:42 -0500
you asked:

>Does anyone know of other vendors of Mass Lead Trimmers that are on the
>market today?

yes, I'd say the most popular is:

Q-Corp.
301 River St.
Derby, KS 67037
316-788-3746
316-788-7428 FAX

>We have a customer who is requiring a .030" lead protrusion after wave
>soldering.  The assembly is placed in a plastic enclosure.
>
>We are currently using a Applied Production Systems Lead Trimmer.
>Unfortunately, we are experiencing problems.  The blade does well on
>vertical leads but tends to only 'topple' leads that have been crimped
>or bent prior to soldering.  This leaves shavings attached to the board.

>Does anyone have suggestions of other available trimmers on the market
>or experienced a similar situation?

The Q-Corp saw is pretty well made, but I suggest you would likely
experience the same difficulties with it, too. We always called these
defects "flags" and the criterion was they could not reduce the conductor
spacing more than 50%, or they could not be "loose" so as to potentially
cause conductive foreign material (the dreaded CFM).

Suggestions:

1) don't crimp the leads till after you saw them, they cut much more easily
this way.

2) make sure your blades are dressed regularly, like daily (carbide cutters
even go fast).

3) set the lead saw height to cut right down into the lead fillet, say
0.015" from the PWB surface or even lower. You can possibly do another pass
over your solder wave to cover exposed metal. Doing this will reduce your
flags greatly, but you may get arguments about whether you have
"sufficient" lead protrusion and you will see exposed metal in the fillet
after cutting. You also greatly increase the chances of cutting into the
board, so your fixture will need to be ensure the board assembly is very
flat and firmly held to avoid scrapping boards.

4) Q Corp. makes a counter-rotating dual brush thingy that might help in
removing the "loose" flags you have.

good luck,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corp.