From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:47:23 -0500 (CDT)
There is no IPC specification requirement for storage of PWB, and lenght
of storage.  We have done a couple of studies about storage (IPC-TR-462)
which looked at solderability over a 2 year storage condition.
Essentially this study concluded, that if you had good solderabilty to
begin with and solder coating, and relatively benign storage, you could
solder well after 2 years.  I don't know how to extrapolate this to 3-4
years, but I believe the same conclusions would hold.  We have also
studied the literature on steam aging of components, and have done round
robin testing on this as well.

Regards
David W. Bergman, Technical Director
IPC