Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:56:13 -0400
Lisa,

I can't really say much about what companies are doing to handle the
MIL-STD-2000 contracts that are in place, but I do have some insights on how
new contracts are being handled.

The recent J-STD-001 meeting in Chicago had a number of DoD representatives
present and some insights were given (often privately).  The closest viable
alternative to the raft of military soldering documents is J-STD-001A.  While
J-STD-001A is not DoD adopted, it is the best alternative and most military
technical contacts will steer you in that direction, perhaps with some
additional requirements.  Each contract must now be evaluated on a case by
case basis.

If you are doing a conversion from one flux technology to another, you must
generate a data package to show you have done process development work and
that you have a reasonable process.  Data might be from MIL-STD-2000A,
MT-0002, J-STD-001A (Appendix D), etc.  Again, evaluation on a case by case
basis.

Because of the DoD mandate to get out of the spec writing business and to
adopt industry standards, there is an increasing motion towards an attitude
"Show me your proposed process works" rather than relying on requirements in
a specification.  The emphasis will be on statistical process control and
continuous improvement plans.

I agree that these are changing times and that the activities are very
important.  Unfortunately, the decisions are being made in Washington, rather
than by the technical community.  In my opinion, Washington has pulled the
rug out from under the feet of the military technical community, rather than
allow the reps to work reasonable compromises.  EVERYBODY is now running
around wondering what to do.

Doug Pauls
aka [log in to unmask]