From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:42:28 -0500 (CDT)
Bob:

Chip scale packages parallel standard SMT packages in form factor; both
come in peripherally leaded and area array formats. Chip scale packages
are designed to facilitate burn-in and test of the silicon chip prior to
assembly, resulting in a solution for known good die. The packages are of
minimal size (no more than 1.2X the area of the original die size) and
are surface mountable as opposed to wire bonded.

You may want to obtain J-STD-012, Implementation on Flip Chip and Chip
Scale Technology. It is a joint IPC-EIA standard, and should be available
in the next few months.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
7380 N. Lincoln Avenue