From:
Josh Moody EXT 4508 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 16:51:06 -0700 (PDT)
Has anyone out there in PWB-land come up or discovered a method for lotcoding
panels that will give the manufacturer and the customer traceability.  The
current method used at my company (Merix Corp.) has become obsolete due to
low demand on the product.  This method employs tape which resolves a number
(ie lotcode) onto the the resist.  This number is then pattern plated to create
a permanent ID for the PCB.  I have looked at alternatives ranging from
UV blocking inks applied to the phototool, laser systems, and inkjet.
All are either to expensive (due to machine + labor costs) or unproven in the
industry.  If anyone has ideas I would welcome a response.-- Josh Moody