From:
Alan Cable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 95 21:42:00 PDT

This message is in response to John Burke's request dated 13th June 1995 and
R R Holmes useful reply dated the 14th June.

John,

for the past year or so we have been doing extensive work in drilling PC
boards with a solid-state ultraviolet laser ( a quadrupled YAG operating at
266nm).

We presented results at the recent IPC Conference in San Diego. The paper
was called 'New Laser Technology for Drilling Through- and Blind-Vias in
Copper Clad Reinforced Circuit Boards', and was presented by Mark Owen. If
you need a copy, let me know and I will send one along.

We have had success drilling a wide range of materials, all the way from
glass reinforced, copper clad epoxy  to unreinforced polyimide. We have
recently made a system available for doing this work. Again, if you need
information on this product, please let me know.

You can reach me at [log in to unmask], or fax +1 503 671 5651 or phone +1
503 671 5624.

Hi,

Has anyone out there any experience of laser drilling of via
holes, laser types, advantages, hole sizes, speeds etc.

Any information much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John Burke.
Research Director SMART GROUP UK.