From:
"TOM HYBISKE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:06:16

Jamie Baumgart asked about the removal of non-functional pads.  I
asked this question about a month ago and received a lively response
from the TechNet members.  Although IPC-D-275 para 5.3.2.5 states
that non-functional pads "should" be included, most board manufacturers
who responded recommended the removal of them.  Reliability seems to
be an issue in both camps.  If reliability is an issue, given the
same thickness, a double sided board would be more
suspect than a multi-layer board with non-functional pads
included.  Wouldn't exculding them from pad stacks liken them to a
pad on a double sided board?  It's a question that generates a lot of
opinions, but what I think we need is something more definitive from
IPC.  I've included one response I received that seems to walk the
fence. Since Gary is the chairman of the Printed Circuit Board Design
Commitee so his response was vauled most.

Tom Hybiske