DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:15:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Al Slagle wrote:
> I've been waiting for weeks for someone to discuss what this proposed exam might
> consist of.
> Has a preliminary list of questions been compiled?
> Has any questions been formed for designers to look over?
> Are we to offer possible questions that might be used on any future exam?
> What is IPC's role in this possible exam?
> Have any companies shown interest in your IPC exam idea?
> Let's get rolling!

Al:

You ask many good questions. I'll try to answer them in the order which
you asked.

1. A list of items (questions) for the Basic Design Certification Exam has
been prepared, beta tested, and is now available through Drake Prometric
(800-895-EXAM). These items were developed over the past two years by
designers, working in groups across the country. Because security of the
item bank is crucial--if the items are available, the credibility of the
exam is negated--the items are not available for review.

2. As you know, it is senseless to begin a project unless you first
determine what your ultimate goal is. That in mind, the Design
Certification Task Group established dozens of concrete objectives for
each level of the certification program. Items are then written to
fulfill the objectives. Sometimes, a single item will meet multiple
objectives. In other cases, a single objective may require two or more
items to establish whether the examinee truly understands the subject matter.

Once again, designers across the country actually write the items. IPC
works with Drake to determine the validity of the items through grammar
checks and beta testing. But again, since security of the exam is
essential, lists of the final items selected are not made available.
On the other hand, the list of objectives is available from IPC and from
some of the local Designers Council chapters. (In fact, it has been
published in this forum.)

3. Yes, yes, and yes! In fact, Design Item writing sessions are
constantly taking place. I will follow this e-mail with another listing
dates and sites of upcoming item writing sessions.

4. IPC's Board of Directors has allocated funding (up to $100,000) to
establish a full-fledged design certification program. To date, we are
"live" with the Basic Design Certification Exam, and have certified a
number of designers already. IPC oversees the administration of the
program, organizing the items writing sessions, helping to develop and
publish study guides, conducting preparatory workshops, and acting as the
direct liaison to Drake.

5. I hear every day from companies that want to participate in the
certification process. Memebrs of the Design Certification Task Group
have made presentations on the benefits of design to a number of
companies and at several industry conferences.

6. Hear, hear!

Further questions may be directed to this forum or to LIsa Williams, IPC,
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
2215 Sanders Road