DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Ed Current)
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 95 14:03 MST
 I am interested in possible solutions to thermal dissipation (heat sinking)
for SMd devices. I understand some of the negative results of using ground
planes as heat sinks ie warpage and poor solder adhesion. I would like to
get a better feel for other options in heat sinking a SMD 3018 device in a
single/double layer high density encapsulated environment. Cost/size
requirements are a factor due to the nature of the electronic components
manufacturing market. Vias next to the lands are our current solution. Any
others? Your thoughts would be appreciated.           Regards, Ed Current
Edward K. Current
CAD Supervisor
Engineering Services
Power Convertibles Corp.