DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:37:18 -0500
Gary,

Your concerns are well taken. A point to note, is that the resource material
is specified, no less than a college program would do. In addition, the "A"
level exam focuses on an understanding of the terminaology used in the
industry, and certain basic design concepts. The next levels focus on the
tradeoff decisions. If a designer understands the basic fundamentals of
materials, processes, etc. than he is in a better position to evaluate the
tradeoffs.

The next level examinations also describe the conditions for a design, and
the designer will have to make tradeoff decisions based on these conditions.
The committee will attempt to not present judgmental type questions, but
questions with foundations based on sound design and manufacturing
principles.

As designers, we can design anything, but if it cannot be manufactured,
shipped and billed, then we have designed nothing.

Your concerns are being monitored by the committee, and it enables us to make
better decisions, so keep your comments coming.

Regards,

Gary Ferrari