DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Woody Cowles)
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 95 09:16:01 PST
  Received from IPC on 12/20/95
Since the exam is multiple choice the possibility exists that an
applicant can guess at the right answer. Guessing does not
signify Knowledge, Understanding, Problem Solving Capability, or
Skill Level. Drake experts have guided the program to make sure
that the multiple choice responses are congruent and plausible.
As a couple of examples:

     What is the favorite fruit of the natives on the island of
     Bali?
          A. Mangoes
          B. Pineapples
          C. Coconuts
          D. Potatoes
Select the most correct answer

PS. The reason we ask you to  Select the most correct answer  is
to avoid conflict. There are those on Bali who think that mangoes
are the favorite, however the Bali Department of Commerce states
that it is the Pineapple.  Have a Merry Christmas.

  I would like to add my voice to those who have expressed concern
over "the most correct answer" method used for the certification tests.

  The PS. to the sample problem apparently is supposed to clarify
the rationale for the answer and "avoid conflict." If that rationale is
that we're supposed to believe a Government spokesman over "those on Bali"
(49%?...51%?), then the correct answer must be Pineapples (B).  However, if
you're like most people, you would distrust the Government statement and
believe "the people.".....so, the answer is obviously Mangoes (A)!

  So much for conflict avoidance!  The point is, the rationale should be
based on something solid, something you can look up - Total Retail Sales of
Fruit on the Island of Bali, published by the Retail Grocers Assoc.(a SPEC).
The rationale should not be based on "those" people's perceptions or an
unquestioned Government statement.

  The feeling I get from people is that, at best, there is a LOT of
ambiquity in these "most correct answer" questions. At worst, many consider
them to be "trick" questions. We do not expect Mickey Mouse or potato
choices, but we do expect THE correct answer......not, "the MOST correct."

  Certification is still a great idea, but so far, the examples given do
not reflect a fairness in testing.

Woody Cowles