DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dieter Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 08:29:45 -0600 (CST)
  Many of you have asked about the certification program; how is it
progressing?, how is it organized?, how are the questions created?, what
does a typical question look like?, when will it be finished?, what is
the purpose?, and so on.

The answers to many of the questions have been documented in the past
and circulated to designers that helped shape the present program into
the form that it is in today. The bottom line is that the certification
program is for designers, developed by designers, and is intended to
elevate the designers' status and the designers' role in the product
development cycle.

There is a Certification Committee, and an Executive Board that reviews
all plans and processes that eventually get approved by the IPC Board of
Directors. The IPC BOD is committed to helping the Designers Council, and
its' members, achieve their goals. The goals are documented in the
Designers Council Charter, developed and approved in 1992.

IPC staff has not always been visible to the general design community
while the programs of the council were taking shape. With the interest
level building, this passive role may no longer be appropriate. During a
meeting with members of the Boston Chapter, their President Janice Lund
and Gary Ferrari, President of the Designers Council, suggested that the
IPC staff become more active and provide information, in capsulized form,
using the "designercouncil" email network. Gary and Janice, as well as
IPC staff, realize that you can not get to all the meetings, and we want
your critique and input to continuously improve your program.

Starting in December the staff will post on "designercouncil", items that
are for your information (FYI), portions of the training guide handbook-
"Training Guide Snapshots" (TGS), and questions of the day (QOD). The
questions will be some of those that were developed for the level a
"Basic" certification exam; the questions are NOT used in the exam. The
QODs are being posted to enable designers to become more comfortable with
the format of the test. They are examples of how the test applicant will see
them. Each will have a number and can be referred to by that number. The
correct answer will be posted, usually the next day, along with the next
question.

Are desire is to improve the communication channels between you and the
IPC staff. We want to make sure that you needs are met, and that you have
the opportunity to become involved in the process.

We ask that you direct all comments to the IPC staff instead of posting
them on "designercouncil". The staff member who will maintain the
comments and take the appropriate action is Lisa Williams. Our reason for
this request is that we are trying to provide information and not
necessarily start a debate on each topic that we post on the network
forum. If a set of comments are received covering the same concern, on
any FYI, TGS, or QOD, Lisa will post them on "designercouncil", or "technet"
for open debate.

We wish all of you the very happiest of holidays, and a very prosperous 1996.
Keep you questions coming. Designers are the backbone of our industry and
you expertize makes the difference as to your company's competitiveness.

All the best. Please send comments, constructive critique, or suggestions
to [log in to unmask]

Cordially

Dieter Bergman