DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:27:20 -0600 (CST)
Mitch:

IPC-SM-782A does contain the land pattern formulas. Look on pages 10-14
of the document.

The Surface Mount Land Patterns Subcommittee, which is responsible for
IPC-SM-782 and its updates, has acknowledged that there are some typos in
the document, which may explain the "inconsistencies." Nevertheless, one
must also consider three factors when comparing IPC-SM-782 to
its successor:

1. Land patterns in the "A" rev. were developed which the goal of the best
possible solder joint per J-STD-001, which was released in April 1992
(well after the 1987 release of IPC-SM-782).

2. Manufacturing tolerances change as improved equipment reaches the
marketplace. These, too, will impact the land patterns.

3. The land patterns in the second half of the document reflect the
industry consensus based on empirical knowledge. Given the variety of
manufacturing methods in use, some tinkering of the land patterns will
probably be necessary from time to time.

An amendment to IPC-SM-782A is underway. IPC awaits the final draft from
the aforementioned volunteer committee. Per ANSI rules, we will then
circulate (30 days) the proposed amendment to our full membership for
approval. If all votes are affirmative, IPC will publish the amendment.
Unfortunately, it is difficult at this time to predict when it will be ready.

We welcome your inputs.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
2215 Sanders Road