TECHNET Archives

May 2021

Date:
Mon, 24 May 2021 13:21:02 +0000
What you are looking for is IPC-HDBK-850. This standard covers component staking (staking is adhesive bonding the sides of a component to the substrate), underbonding and underfilling, die potting, dam and fill, connector potting, backfilling, curing, hardness testing to ensure a full cure took place, all about different encapsulants and materials, mixing, curing, dispensing, you name it, its in there. I put a lot of work into this standard back in 2011-2012, as did many others. I may be personally biased, but I think it is an excellent source of information and guidelines for everything related to adhesives and their proper use in electronic assemblies. I remember people such as Jade Bridges, Barry Ritchie, and your buddies Nate Grindvalds and Doug Pauls also contributed to this standard, so they should have a copy handy. I certainly received more from the finished efforts of the team than I personally invested into it and I highly recommend it to anyone who has questions about bonding, staking, potting and encapsulation. It is a great guide.
Odin Stadem